Monday, February 28, 2011

Recital Numero Uno

Eliot has been dancing. He joined a troup with some buddies that does traditional Mexican dances called Folklorico. It's an amazing group of kids with an amazing instructor, Paco. He's a pure professional. I don't know how he does it. The kids practice hard a have a blast.

Diversity has been a theme around here lately. I think we sometimes forget the specialty of our cultural mix here in the US. We tend to focus on the difficulty our differences make, and not the beauty in them.  I am learning to appreciate our differences on a whole new level lately-- not simply tolerating our differences, but celebrating them.

I once asked a good friend of mine what value he most wanted his son to possess, and I'll never forget his answer: "To never look at anyone else and think he's better, and to know that nobody is better than him." That's really it. I am starting to think that discrimination is worse for the bigot than the victim. How hard it must be to live with that hate in your heart!  How much better to just be willing to dance with anyone. I can't get this Michael Franti song out of my head, "all the freaky people make the beauty in the world." Check out my boy!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That boy has talent! That was truly amazing!